Aug 12, 2008

The smell of rain...


It was a warm sunday afternoon. I was sitting on the sofa and watching tv,surfing the channels randomly. None of the channels seemed to hold my attention...at the moment.My mind was wandering.As I got up to get a movie DVD from the adjacent room, I felt a cool breeze amidst the warmth,rushing in past the window,banging it in the process,and carressing my cheeks.The breeze,I thought,was a blessing on that warm day. I went out and looked up at the sky.Yes,it was drizzling.I loved the light drizzle.

I love rain...love the feeling when I am out with my friends on their bike,and it suddenly starts to rain unexpectedly....love the smell of wet earth...and like to feel my smooth skin made wet by the cool showers...and ya,I like to gaze at the rainbow too...It was such a fascination for me since childhood...Iwould strain my eyes to see the seven colours and check if they are in the order of the VIBGYOR!!

The light drizzle was turning a bit heavy ,but I wanted to go badly to go to the terrace and get wet. And since no one was at home,I had the freedom to go out in the rain,without hearing the usual "come fast,you'll catch a cold.etc!"
I ran up,stood at the edge of the terrace and gazed at the blue skies.It was just a passing cloud,so the skies were clear and calm. Gazing at it, brought in calmness and clarity to my mind,slowly pushing away my blues...The cool rain and the gentle blues was a calming balm to my eyes and mind.My spirits were brightening up...and I was feeling good.

With nobody at home,and my mobile switched off on purpose and the neighbours away,their dog asleep; I felt like I was the only one around,that afternoon,thanks to the location of our house,it was away from the noisy hussle and bussle of the Chennai traffic. The world around me was enjoying an afternnon siesta ,sleeping cozily,not wanting to wake up to the feeling of 'Monday blues'!.It was getting quieter now.The rain had almost stopped...


I was enjoying the company of myself,without any disturbance.I usually enjoy my company alone,like to have my personal space and time,without any one's interference.Time was slowly explaining to me the true meaning of ''Solitude is Bliss"...Yes,it was real bliss..and ya,solitude is different from loneliness! Lonileness comes when you have drawn a circle around yourself or when you are so cold so as to not allow anyone to befriend you! Solitude is when on purpose,you want to spend some quality time alone with yourself. You are social enough, have good friends to spend time with,but prefer spending some time alone! Its gives you a lovely feeling,it brings you those moments of complete silence ,calming your thoughts and mirroring what you really feel within...The first time I discovered this feeling in me,it was so genuinely good which made me want to explore more such moments with myself. It made me happy apart from the usual happiness I got by spending time with frens and family.



I looked up.The rain had stopped.The sun was begginning to peep out again. My eyes were searching the skies...slowly...yes!there it was!...the colourful rainbow in all its splendour...I knew that a colouful rainbow emerges when the rain has almost stopped and the sun is out.

There was something about the rainbow which made me think that life is made colourful and interesting only when it has got both, moments of blues as well as sunny moments together!



I closed my eyes,made a wish silently and came down! It reminded me of childhood days,I remember,as kids ,why?even in our grad days,we gals would run up to the terrace as soon as we hear that there's a rainbow,and make a wish...closing our eyes tightly and seriously think of the wish and then come down with our faces beaming, as if that wish would be fulfilled that very night!! Lol..in a way,it was plain fun!:-)



I came down.Made a hot cup of tea for myself, and sat back sipping slowly on it. The taste was wonderful,the aroma relaxing .I had added ginger and s'thing else to my usual cuppa tea.It felt good.

Remembering my frens,i dusted and took out my old slam book of school days,from my rack.I had forgottenn all about it.Today,somehow i wanted to go back to those good 'ol days...Flipping through its pages,memories gushed into my mind...Memories of my frens....

4 comments:

Surya said...

Awesome writing Purni. It was as if I was watching a movie, the scenes changing correctly and sequentially with a flow of events so logical and attention arresting. But as usual I cannot help but give my viewpoints :-)

1- I love the rain too. You know why - for it reminds me of love. I strongly believe that the rainy season brings the best of the emotions in man (gender neutral). When it rains in the campus here, I go out and spread my arms wide apart, look skyward and close my eyes. Different emotions flood my mind and the picture of two lovely individuals flash through one after the other; one is Swami and the other you-know-who. Sometimes tears trickle down as I remember all those tender moments of love we had shared and sometimes I end of weeping uncontrollably when I remember my foolishness in making those loved ones unhappy. Its spiritual to cry in rain with tears mixing away in the water that flows down the face as if the wiping up of karmas and reconstructing a pure me. Its as if the water makes me "see" each emotion and then cleans it up. Oh! I love the rains.

2- Lonliness and solitude are two contrasting concepts. Solitude is befriending yourself while lonliness is befriending none, not even yourself. Solitude is in love with oneself while lonliness is supreme hate. But the question is how to differentiate the two when one himself/herself is the protagonist? Learn it from the rain drops! Every drop is so concenterated in its direction and is so merged in oneself. But once it strikes the ground, it breaks and loses its identity. When it comes down, its was lonely and when it strikes its solitude. To convert, from the former to later the catalyst is nothing but action. If one befriends work, one shall never be left wanting of attention. And yet one can enjoy perfect solitude in that midst.

Purni. said...

The rains bring in a surge of mixed emotions in me too.There's something subtle about the rain,when you stand in it...soak in it...and feel it take over you..And as you said,I like the 'tears becoming one with the rain'part...:)

Anonymous said...

To the writer,
Your blog post looks like a copy from a similar post I read somewhere. Anyways good attempt at that. Hope you come out with somethning good and ORIGINAL.
Best of luck
Anonymous

Purni. said...

Mr Anonymous!
This is something which came right out of my own mind.Its jus the flow of my thoughts,how i feel..its like one of my diary entries..So,can't help smiling at what you say!
Have jus begun blogging,and i'am known for putting wats on my mind directly on paper without borrowing anything!!:-) And Mr Anonymous,I don't think you would argue wid me,wen i say dat ppl do have similar thoughts and like-mindedness.Certain things in life evoke similar responses from different varieties of ppl!